Annons:
Tagesports
Read 937 times
jordan
2018-10-11 13:55

Olympic Esport debate continues

In an interview with CNA, Rahul Sood shared his opinions on the possibility of Esports becoming an Olympic sport in the future.  Recently it has also been announced that Esports will be a full medal event at the Asian Games in 2022. Despite this, Sood believes that the benefits for Esports are outweighed by the negatives. 

"I believe esports doesn't need the Olympics as much as the Olympics needs esports. They would have to make a really good case for this to happen, if I'm being honest.”

While I do agree with this, he also mentions:

"It's misguided, or egotistical, of mainstream culture to think the Olympics are somehow a greater honour than The International, Worlds or a CS:GO (Counterstrike) major.” 

…Which I don't really agree with. I do think an international, nation based competition would be good in many Esports, and if the Olympics can provide that then so be it. Sadly though the ideas around Esports being included in the Olympics seem to be solely an effort to increase their waning young viewership.

What do you think?

Read more of what Sood said here.

Annons:
Niklas
2018-10-12 08:58

In general, I think too many decisions are based on money. Sometimes it makes for good decisions, but not always. Olympics is one of the events I think have gone too far. As I understand it, they may have drawn that conclusion themselves.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2018-10-16 01:10

What do you mean has gone too far? Do you mean with a money centered approach?

Niklas
2018-10-16 10:23

Yes, there is too much focus on money. Not only in olympics, though.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2018-10-17 00:50

#3 Of course. There is one good thing about it though, in that more money can be invested in the event. The opening ceremonies are always a blast!

Scroll to top
Annons: